Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pancake Cookies for Breakfast


We love quinoa! We've been using it for years and now, it seems, it has gained quite a bit of popularity. This sneaky little grain is packed with protein and fiber. It's also gluten-free and tastes delicious. There are tons of things you make make with it, both sweet and savory. I'll get you more information on that soon.

This post I want to share my all-time favorite recipe for pancakes. I originally found a recipe on a box of quinoa flour from Ancient Harvest, but I altered it to fit my daughter's allergies and then altered it again to decrease the fat and make it more tasty.

What we're left with is this golden pancake with a slightly nutty/crunchy charm. My daughter puts Earth Balance Buttery Spread and syrup on hers. But I'll eat mine straight from the griddle. They are THAT good. When she has her little friends over, they'll all be eaten up as soon as I can lay them down.

Ingredients

1/3 Cup Quinoa Flour
1/3 cup uncooked yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 Milk (Rice, oat, almond, cow, soy milk)
1 Egg Replacer to equal one egg - or just a plain ol' egg

Mix together dry ingredients. Add milk, egg, and oil. Pour onto a prepared griddle and turn when the bubbles spread across the pancake and the bottom is golden.

This makes enough for 2-3 people. If I eat half the batch, I count it as 7 points (Weight Watchers).

I like to make little pancakes for the kids and call them "pancake cookies" so that I don't have to cut up their food. For various reasons, you cannot trust children with a bottle of syrup, so I found it best to pour a serving into a little medicine cup. Then they can dunk their "pancake cookies" for a sticky little swim. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment